Notice of Defect

If you disagree with the grounds on which the creditor is basing the debt collection, you should make a formal notice of defect, or complaint, as soon as possible. We recommend making a complaint in writing, so that all aspects can be taken into account in the subsequent handling of your debt.

Please note that the undisputed part of a debt should be paid immediately. You can be held responsible for collection fees for the undisputed part of the debt, even though the rest of the debt is found to be unsupported. Also, it is unwise to delay the collection of your debt through groundless complaints, as such delays can increase the work of the collection agency and the collection fees you are required to pay.

You should send your written notification to both the collection agency and the creditor. You can inform Cash-In of your complaint by using email, mail or the form below.